Near the end of 2010, Subaru gave AdAsia the green light to produce a small but complete project of our own. AdAsia proposed a radically different project from any we had ever done: a campaign for their Subaru Impreza WRX, targeted specifically at 2nd generation, English-speaking Asian-Americans. This meant venturing into a whole new section of our market — a section never previously targeted before and with its own new challenges to overcome.
To raise awareness of and promote the Subaru Impreza WRX. To specifically target English-speaking 2nd generation Asian-Americans, especially the large number that are interested in car tuning.
To reach the young adult 2nd generation Asian-American market, a demographic with a notable lack of centralized media sources. To find or create a media source ourselves that would let us get our message out there.
We decided our best bet to overcome the lack of traditional media sources for this segment of the market was to succeed utilizing a non-traditional channel. We wanted a spot that highlighted the car, but was also memorable and funny — a promotional video that wasn’t an “ad.” We collaborated with Wong Fu Productions, a group of fellow Asian-American video producers, to create the “Too Fast” video spot on YouTube. It almost immediately went viral.
- Over 1 million total views in the first two days
- Over 3.1 million total views to date
- Over 25 thousand likes to date
- Over 11 thousand favorites to date
- Over 7 thousand comments and 5 thousand shares to date
- Most popular with teenagers and young adults – hit target demographic
- Most popular in the US, Canada, and Australia – hit target demographic
- Subaru Impreza WRX is visible in 75% of the entire video
- While the name of the car was never explicitly mentioned in the video, “Subaru” and “WRX” are among the most frequently used words in the comments